Be Prepared for Hurricane Season 2020

July 1, 2020


It is hurricane season folks, and according to forecasters with the NOAA CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER (a division of the National Weather Service), an above-normal 2020 Atlantic hurricane season is expected. The predictions are for 60% chance of an above-normal season, 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season. Hurricane season began June 1 and runs through November 30, with the most activity typically occurring in July, August, and September. What does this mean for you? Well, it means you need to be prepared! Having your hurricane supplies ahead of time will save you from having to fight crowds at stores right before a storm hits. And this year, you have all the more reason to want to avoid crowds! So, put your hurricane kit together now. Here is a convenient list of items that should be included in your hurricane kit:

  • Flashlights & extra bulbs
  • Battery-operated radio
  • Battery-operated lanterns
  • Batteries (in different sizes)
  • Matches
  • First Aid kit
  • Duct Tape
  • Rain gear
  • Clock (wind-up or battery-powered)
  • Plastic garbage bags
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Scissors
  • Can opener
  • Clean clothes
  • Extra blankets
  • Heavy gloves


Have non-perishable food for each person for 3-7 days in two coolers (one for food and one for drinks) with the following:

  • Bottled water (1 gallon/person/day)
  • Canned foods
  • Bottled juice
  • Dry pet food (make sure to include water for your pets)


In addition to putting together a hurricane kit, here are some things you should do around the house to prepare:

  • Remove outdoor items
  • Trim dead branches from trees
  • Board up windows
  • Fill gas tanks and extra containers
  • Have extra cash on hand
  • Move furniture away from windows
  • Store important documents in waterproof containers
  • Have extra supply of medicines on hand


You should also gather any medical /first-aid items you may need:

  • Medical-alert tags
  • Insect-repellent sprays
  • Feminine hygiene items
  • Sunscreen
  • Soap
  • First Aid kit
  • Prescription medicine
  • Over-the-counter medication
  • Bandages
  • Adhesive tape
  • Antiseptic solution
  • Thermometer
  • Tweezers


And don’t forget your pets:

  • Water for pets for 3-7 days
  • Non-perishable pet food
  • Crate/carrier/tank
  • Leash
  • Collar or harness
  • Favorite toy
  • Blanket or pillow
  • Clean litter box
  • Updated shots and medical records
  • Microchip and contact information
  • Any medications
  • Calming aids
  • Tags
  • Puppy training pads
  • Heartworm preventatives
  • Rain gear

Tips to Help Calm Your Pets During Storms

Hurricane season can be scary and stressful, but you can alleviate a little of that stress by being prepared!

If you’re thinking about buying or selling a home in the Houma/Thibodaux area, contact the professional, experienced Realtors with Bayou Region Home Team and let them assist you with all your real estate needs. Reach them at 985.601.3136 or info@bayouteam.com today!